Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 100!!

January 4, 2011

Day 100. Wow. That seems like a milestone, for sure. In some ways, it feels like we've been here such a long time, the sun-filled skies of Boulder just a distant memory. In others, it still feels new. Like when finding one's way to the mall on the other side of the river without the GPS. 

We met up with a friend from mom's group, Danna. I liked her from the beginning and even more now. She lives over in the NE Portland, near Elizabeth with the cool, old house. I'm used to finding places without a GPS, though, so I wasn't too worried about it. Just funny because I had the address all ready to plug in but got into the car and had to get back out and go to the computer for directions. The biggest hassle was getting Jacob out and in carseat again. 

We met up by some little ride-on toys: a car, train, racecar. Headed up the escalator to entertain the kids and came to a hat kiosk. "I have to try on this hat," Danna said. She tries it on then picks up a mustard yellow hat with a flower on one side and says, "This is so cute. It would look so good on you. You have to try it on." So I do. It's cute but also.... stylish and different than anything I ever wear; being the child of an entirely practical mother I really was never taught these things and don't have a natural knack for it. 
"I don't know if I can get away with it," I said.
"Oh, yes," Danna said, "you totally can. It looks great with that blue and red. If you wear a lot of blues or neutrals it's good sometimes to have a little colour to just make it pop."
"I would love a hat to use on my dirty hair days," I said. "I don't know, though."
"It is so cute. You have to get it. Oh and look at this scarf (she says as she's putting a green scarf around my neck). It looks so good together."
"I need you to be my dresser," I said.
"Well, that's what I do. I'm an interior designer. I don't do it now but it's what I used to do."
"You are just what I need in my life. Well, I like the hat but don't know if I could wear it without you next to me telling me it looks good. I have to feel like I could get away with it, you know."
"You just need to branch out a little."
"I'll think about it. I might come back and get it."

This was all within the first 15 minutes of hanging out! We continue to learn more about each other. Yes, she used to do interior design work but then stopped because she wanted to do something that fed her soul. I really like her now. Totally cool. She has good energy. As we kept talking, she kept telling me that we had to move to her neighbourhood because it has that walk-to-everything-and-know-your-neighbours kinds of feel. I still feel like it might be too far from Fraser's work. We'll see. We'd really have to do some experimenting with the commuting aspect to see what it would really be like. Good times, though.


Talked to my friend Lauren on skype this afternoon! So fun. Great to see her and her baby, Leah. Almost like being back in Boulder with her. 

Also, Jacob didn't ask for mamamilk this morning. First time. And no milk tonight. I think it's time to stop the evening ones for good. I'll keep the am one for a bit if he asks for it. Good and sad. It's that final physical connection where he's taking something from my body, and it feels like a separation of sorts. Very interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment