Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 29: Night on the Town

October 23, 2010

Ah, Saturday. We went to breakfast over in NE Portland. Pop had heard of this place on PBS. Tin Shed. Quirky neighbourhoods over there. Lots of little cool looking shops. Tin Shed was a tin covered restaurant with a nice outside (covered) patio with a fireplace. Serve your own coffee and tea set ups. Thanks to Jacob we got there before any lines. 

Lots of options on the menu, all looked good. I had a dish called Stay. Sweet potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and eggs with a mushroom rosemary gravy over the top.Wow. So good. The gravy was out of this world. And I'm not a gravy person. I also had some sweet potato and cinnamon French toast. Also delicious. Everyone was very happy with their dishes. I would drive 25 minutes again to eat there. For sure. Also, there was a hair studio across the street named Spank! You gotta love that. 

Pop and I started tackling the garage today. One part of our three car garage is packed with stuff. We pulled out most of it into the two car garage part (because it was rainy) and began to reorganize. We really made a ton of progress. I also could see that I had plenty of boxes to go through. But it was getting manageable. 

Fraser and I prepared for our night out. I was feeling a little... odd just knowing that I wasn't going to see Jacob for almost twenty-four hours, longer than I'd ever been away from him. I knew he'd be fine but it was just weird. I felt like I wanted to hug and squeeze him and spend time with him because I knew it was going to be awhile. Mimi did it just great, though. They got on shoes and jacket to go out and ride Jacob's bike. Perfect. 

On the road and I felt fine. Actually, I felt amazing!!!! Free. I wanted to do something that took time because I knew I had it. I didn't have to worry about Jacob falling me apart because he was hungry or bored or needed to eat or whatever. I wanted to stay out late and sleep in. How exciting! We were staying at the Hilton Executive Tower. Nice. Super comfy bed. 

We picked a hotel close to the venue for this wedding: VooDoo Doughnuts. We go out a little early to have a drink first. Relaxed, excited about our evening out and together. We walk over to the donut shop and ask where the wedding is. The answer: the other VooDoo location. Other location?! The guy gives us a pamphlet with an address; it's on the other side of the river. We get on a bus but do to my hesitation and question asking of the bus driver, he asks for fare and we have none. We get off. No cabs in sight. Finally we see one that's taken but at least there's a number. Five minutes. Great. We get in, head over to the wedding. We get there with one minute to spare. This place looks like an old Dairy Queen that's been painted bright pink. We get in and feel like we're still in the wrong spot; there are people all over but look haphazard and mostly like customers waiting for donuts. Finally we see Jenny (my girlfriend in town from Boulder) and know we're in the right place. 

This was also the most bizarre wedding I've ever seen. A train whistle sounds and a man in a jacket comes out, making an announcement that a wedding is about to happen and service will stop for about 10-15 minutes. We prepare, Janelle comes in looking beautiful in her gown. She and Niul stand together and the man introduces himself as their officiate. He has a rubber chicken, he draws Niul and Janelle's spirit animals in chalk on the floor and calls on the VooDoo gods to approve this union. After a couple people speaking, the ring exchange and a kiss, the officiate gives them a quarter for the jukebox for their first dance. And donuts to go round! My favourite: a person-shaped donut with a scream face, pretzel sticking out of his chest and raspberry jelly "blood" inside - a voodoo doll. Lots others: mini m&m's on top of cake, Tang, Purple Kool-Aid, Double Bubble, Oreo cookies, Fruit Loops, Captain Crunch, Cocoa Puffs toppings. All sorts. Crazy.

Reception at Oba. Nice. Apps and drinks. Delicious drinks. And I was freeeee!! Long Island, Lemon Drop and then a Magic Trick. Whoa. It was so great to meet up again with Janelle and see her so happy. Wonderful to hang out with Jenny. So short but just a nice little pick-me-up after being on my own here for a month. Miss those close connections. Good times, though. Good times. 

 Just posing for the camera, I swear. At least, at this point...

No comments:

Post a Comment