Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 18

October 12, 2010

Tuesday. My left hip has been hurting me for almost a week. Just aching, mostly at night. Then my right knee started up. I'm falling apart. Turned 30 and everything's going downhill. I don't know if it's because I tried running on pavement, if it's the moisture, walking up and down two flights of steps constantly. Who knows. It's buggin' me, though. And not at all helpful when taking care of a 25lbs child who wants "Up, pease" all the time. 

Mom and Dad-in-law come in on Thursday. Can't wait. It'll be great to have the help distracting Jacob so we can get the house in a bit more order. Some rooms are starting to feel a bit more put together but that means there are other spaces that feel a bit more chaotic as we move things and stash things elsewhere. One step forward, three steps back. All in good time. It'll start feeling a together right when it's time to pack up again. Sigh... Patience - it only looks virtuous but really, it's just a long, hard slog, a fight against insanity and lesson after lesson in letting go. Did I really ask for this?

Jacob took a three and a half hour nap today!!!! And slept till 6:30 this morning. He must be going through a growth spurt. I fully expect his clothes to be too small very soon. If this were closer to the norm, oh, the things I could get done. 

He also got a good head bump climbing around under our bar chairs. I hear a thump from the other side of the bar and then a scream. Poor guy had a cut on the back side of his head. I felt horrible for him but he only cried for a couple of minutes. Mostly it gave me the heebee jeebees as I looked at it to make sure it wasn't bad. That kid isn't phased by much. It wasn't until later, at bath time, as I was washing the blood from his hair, that I noticed the bump. We put a cold pack on it before bed.

Got to the park this afternoon also; Jacob rode his little bike all the way there. It was just a beautiful day. Sunny, warm. People tell us fall is like this but then the winter comes; clouds set in and the rain hangs around a lot. There were tons of kids at the park and Jacob had a great time on the swings ("wings, Ga-cob") and slide ("lide, Mommy, with") as well as the sand area they have there. I got the chance to talk to some other moms, which was great. Both of whom worked or work for Intel. Intel and Nike have pretty much made this area an area. Kind of funny. But everyone has good things to say about it which is heartening. And Fraser came home from work this evening and told me he couldn't see himself ever getting bored with this job. Guess we should start looking for a better place to live.

Random afterthought: we've also started playing I Spy with Jacob which he likes. It started in the checkout line at IKEA. "I spy with my little eye... a red star," I said. He looks around for a bit then gets this big grin on his face and points to the red star. Awesome. A very handy game.
He's also getting into rolling his eyes about. He'll look to the side purposefully with his eyes. Sometimes look up and then to the side. Hilarious!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment