Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 190: Slight soapbox

April 4, 2011

Crabby day today, even with yoga. Bummer. 
And I'm missing Colorado. My yoga mat still smells like incense and just remembering back to Telluride makes me miss those mountains and clear blue skies. 
I was thinking of my friend Tiffany later: she'd send out a text about happy hour at the Cafe, Jacob and I would take the bus down and hang out with her, people watching and catching up. Fraser would usually join us eventually then we'd take the bus back home.
 Oh, those were the days. We're adjusting here but there are times when I just miss it back there.

Okay, I just heard a commercial on the radio for Target. And for the first time, their motto really hit me as totally absurd. Expect more - pay less. I've never really registered that before, but really, it could be the slogan for why America is going downhill. I'm not turning into some conservative, right-wing, anti-welfare/Medicare/Medicaid being, no. But when you tell people to expect more but not have to pay for it, what do you think is going to happen? Things are going to be, cheaply and poorly, in China. At a certain point, there is no one to blame but ourselves for allowing lead in children's toys and cancer causing ingredients in our plastics. Look in the mirror, America! You can't have it both ways: cheap stuff, good quality. That's capitalism for you. That's supply and demand. Making quality items takes labour, energy, time and ideally, a sustainability factor. Those things are not and should not be free. Maybe we'd have a few more jobs in the U.S. if we didn't support mottos like that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment