Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 239

May 23, 2011

Today, after my trip this weekend, I spent lots of time appreciating Jacob: holding him, kissing him, smelling him, listening to him, looking at him. All things I do try and to do on a day to day basis anyway. But, you know, a little absence makes the heart grow fonder. 

I went to the gym, to a cardio/strength class that kicked my butt. I know I will be hurting tomorrow. But I'm getting back into a routine after my trip to Michigan (in March!) ruined me. 

And I'm rapidly trying to finish the book club book for tonight's meeting. I am not going to finish it, but alas... I'm mostly finished. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. A good story. I didn't always love the writing, but I am picky. Much of it was set during WWII and talked about the Japanese internment. I do not claim to be a history guru in any way, but it still amazes me how little I do know about some major events that happened in our country. Sending American born people of Japanese descent to internment camps because we thought they were spies. Making them sign oaths of loyalty and then fight for us in the war, fight for a country that wouldn't treat you as a citizen. Sad, really sad. And it's just a reminder of what not to do in times of war - vilify a whole culture because of some bad seeds. We're a little better on that front but still have some growth to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment