Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 237: Seattle

May 21, 2011

This weekend I headed up to Seattle (alone!) to visit my friend Kristen. We're friends from high school and college, and I've only been talking about coming out to see her and one of her shows (she's a modern dance choreographer) for about 7 years now. Finally, it's time.

Leaving home was... a process. Emotional, somewhat, extricating myself from the home fires, the "Mommy play"s and"Are you sure you want to go"s, I was free!! It's funny, but I noticed a bit more apprehension on my part about going, driving off by myself, stopping for things on the way. It's just that you get used to doing things a certain way, in this case, I'm used to doing trips like this now with Fraser, so I have another person to rely on for certain things. I reminded myself of how many trips I've taken by myself, though, and immediately felt fine. Once in the car, I was thrilled, overjoyed, to be setting out on my own.

The drive up was beautiful. I saw four bald eagles!!, two of them really low over my car. I should've pulled off on the shoulder. Fortunately, the road was pretty empty at that point. Four great blue herons, several hawks, rivers, rain, mountains. It was really great.

I also made a little stop in Kalama, WA, a town with 12 antique stores. I only hit up a few of them and one secondhand kids store, but that was enough to find a few treasures and be on my way.

Once in Seattle, Kristen and I caught up and got ready for the opening night of her show, Music You Shouldn't Choreograph To. I was on concession duty. It was great. I got to hang out, relax, have full conversations, enjoy the dance show. The show was great, too. Good dancing, lots of humour and fun. It was nice to see that again after years of being out of the loop.

We stayed up late (1:30!), later than I think I've stayed up in two and a half years. Knowing that I'd be able to sleep in tomorrow was heaven. I even read a little of my book before passing out. Ahh...

No comments:

Post a Comment