Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 94

December 29, 2010

Yoga this morning. Ah, so nice. Sometimes, when it's been awhile, I forget just how rejuvenating and centering that can be. Stretching, strengthening all while focusing on the breath because other wise I'll most likely faint... that's not making it sound as lovely as it feels. It's just so easy to get distracted at all points of the day with DOING things that it's nice to feel connected with myself. 


Speaking of connecting with self, I'm trying to do more of that. Before leaving Boulder, I had taken a "class" of sorts, the purpose of which was to help me find my purpose in life, my path. We were working from a book called Steering by Starlight, which even to me sounded a little hokey at first. But I trusted the person leading this group so I went with it. It was fantastic. We practiced the exercises in the book (which is key) and went through things together to solidify them. Now, in this new environment with many things to pull me from my center, I'm reading the book again and trying to go through the exercises. 

The first thing the author, Martha Beck, talks about is beginning at the end. When we say we want something, it's usually not really a thing we really want but a felt sense that we're after (i.e. joy, security, fulfillment, love). So, you start by envisioning yourself having whatever it is you want and really feeling (with all your senses) that you have it. In that moment of feeling it, you have actually given yourself what you want. The hard part is staying in that feeling longer than a moment. She says to practice meditating on what you want (or rather, what you see yourself having) for 10 minutes a day for a month. 

Tonight I started with seeing myself doing things about which I'm passionate. The one that surfaced more than others was writing. It was a wonderful feeling, the thoughts and feelings all energized within me wanting to come out in words. Exciting. Even after my meditation I can still feel the energy. We'll see how it all continues, and I'll be sure to keep you all posted ;)



1 comment:

  1. Martha Beck's idea is an old one. I remember 22 years ago hearing about it from Norman Vincent Peale(?) in his book The Power of Positive Thinking. Very interesting. And it works!!!!
    Love Ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete