Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 335

August 27, 2011


The wedding was this morning. Very pretty day, wonderful, intimate setting. It was a small wedding, and I was really honoured to be a part of it. They had a "sand ceremony" where they took sand from where they were each from (New Jersey and North Carolina) and put it together with sand from Colorado. It symbolized them as individuals coming together and, over time, will show how they blend and create a unique family. I thought that was cool.

Jacob has been a bit cracked out, asking to go back home or back to Kamuran's. We've just been on the go constantly since getting here. One thing after another. It's not surprising just not always fun to deal with. But once we get wherever we're going, he has a great time. At the wedding, he was playing with  Emma, who was just great with him. They were playing on a "stage rock", as she called it. He was loving it. She would come over and say, "My cousin Jacob loves to copy me." And he sure did. It was cute.

After nap time, we headed back to our old neighbourhood for a BBQ. WHAT fun! I do miss having such an amazing group of neighbours. To have such strong community on a block is so great. The kids were all over Jacob and vice versa. From the time we got there to the time all the kids left, I think he talked to me for ten minutes. Wow. And I didn't have to say anything to the kids the whole time. They were great with him. It gave us a chance to talk to the grownups. The food was amazingly delicious: wild Alaskan salmon that one of our neighbours caught, fresh veggie dishes from gardens, a raspberry tart and chocolate cake with Kahlua sauce. So good. I will say I appreciate having a couple moms in Portland who I feel are more my peers instead of mentors, which I tend to feel a little bit of with the moms back here. And I will say that I miss the activity and sense of community from this area. I've never lived in a place where everyone is so... around and involved. I miss that a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment