Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 257: Nehalem Bay

June 10, 2011

Jacob just could not wait to get in the car today and head out. I know the feeling; thinking there's really not that much to finish packing up but still, it takes four hours before you're actually leaving. Finally, we were headed out!

Enjoying a foot long meat stick!
A beautiful drive through the coastal range mountains toward Tillamook and then up the coast to Nehalem Bay. Jacob did not nap but did great the whole time in the car. Once we arrived to check in, though, things got a bit hairy. Our reservation apparently was only for a campsite, not a yurt. To say the least, I was pissed. We had no tent, nothing but a sleeping bag to sleep on. Fantastic. I had reserved this online, following links labeled "yurt". Obviously it did not lead me only yurts in the end. Had Jacob not been with us, I might've lost it. But one holds it together more when her child is present and relying on her to be a grownup. So, we headed back to Tillamook to get a tent and air mattress and then back up to the campsite. Not how I had envisioned things, but in the end, all's well that ends well. 

Once out of the car, Jacob was on fire, running around in the grass and the trees, chasing crows, picking up rocks. He as ecstatic. I think we were all happy to be out of the car by this point.
 We settled in a bit, ate some edamame and macaroni and cheese before heading to the beach.
 The beach was cold and windy. Ah, the northwest coast! But absolutely beautiful nonetheless. And the boy sure didn't mind. In fact, later in the weekend, he was saying, "Gacob love the wind". Good thing.











One lesson learned: Do not wear fleece to the beach. When Jacob asked to wear his favourite red pants I didn't think twice about it, but I sure will next time!

Even without a nap, the boy did not want to go to bed tonight. Who would after all the excitement? I put him to bed (we brought the pak-n-play for him) but could still hear him talking up a storm in the tent. Then, at one point, I hear, "Mommy or Daddy? Gacob need help." I go in there and he's out of the pak-n-play, putting his blankets back in his bed and needing help to get himself back in. Too much. I get him back in but really, this was just not going to happen tonight. After I indulged in a couple s'mores, I got him out and he fell asleep in my arms around the campfire while we sang some campfire songs. Adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment