Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 167

March 12, 2011

Jacob went to the museum with Grammy and Uncle Nick. Thankfully there is a museum around here. All Jacob could talk about was balls. He wanted there to be balls at the museum. I told him that different museums were different and that I didn't know whether this museum had any balls or not.

I headed off to visit my friend Jamie. I was a little... distracted as I left, still thinking of Jacob and hoping everyone would have a good time. As I was driving out to her house, I was very close to my parents' old house. I hesitated briefly on whether or not to go back and see it but decided to do it. Driving down our old street felt so familiar: the houses, the trees. It felt like coming home. Their old house looked the same. It was very strange to drive past it. There was such a pull to turn into the driveway, walk up to the back door and come in to find everyone hanging out in the kitchen and front room. But it was okay. A little sad, too, but okay. 

Driving around these areas for me when I visit is always kind of funny. Once I'm on the road, the places and their locations come back to me overall, but I have the moments of do-I-really-know-where-I'm-going. I hadn't been out to Jamie's in years and figured I knew the way. I couldn't remember the exit to get off on and almost called her but told myself to just trust my memory. Sure enough, I remembered it as soon as I got there. 

Visiting with Jamie was so wonderful. I cannot say enough how great it felt to sit with a comfortable old friend who knows me, loves me, listens to me, supports me. To just be able to talk, laugh, sit, listen, be silent, just be in her funny and confident energy. We had lunch, had pie, and just hung out. It. Was. Amazing. I miss that. I miss having a best girlfriend near me to hang out with and just be with. I miss having someone to easily go out with. Moms are important in my friend repitoire but it makes it harder to get together alone. I miss being just me, no barriers or unknowns between me and a friend. Sigh. Life. Good to have this time. So good.

Toward the end I was missing Jacob. I have complete confidence in my family and would've loved to spend the night at Jamie's in some ways. What I've learned, though, is that it's hard to come in and be so excited to see my family but then go off to see friends. Especially when my time with Nick feels so limited this time around due to his job. So, I headed back. Dinner was ready, Jacob was slithering around on the kitchen floor. He had been great for everyone and had loved the museum. And there were balls!! Of course, that was his favourite part.

He has a favourite word - gaboppy. Just a made up word that he uses for.... lots of things. If you ask him a question but he doesn't want to answer, he says, "Gaboppy." Then he uses it in place of things like instead of eating apples he wants gaboppy. It's hilarious.

Jacob was having a good time calling everyone "uncle". Uncle Amy, Uncle Nick, Uncle Grammy, Uncle Mommy. And he thinks it's hilarious. His sense of humour is definitely growing. He's just been so happy, so cooperative, so confident, and so entertaining. Hanging out with everyone, being social, having no qualms about hanging out with everyone. It's been great for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment