Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 165: Jacob's first sleepover

March 10, 2011

Jacob got up this morning at 9. Of course, after going to bed at 11, I'm not surprised. He woke up just talking to himself upstairs in his bed. Once I brought him downstairs, he asked, "Aunt Amy come downstairs. Gammy come downstairs." I had to tell him that they were already off working today but that we'd see them again. We played together for awhile before my friend Bats (actually, the name in an acronym for Beth Across The Street, differentiating this Beth from my other friend Beth) came over with her little boy, Jackson. Jackson is a year younger than Jacob. He and Jacob felt each other out a bit, Jackson a bit more cautious, Jacob a bit more rambunctious.

I told Jacob were going to their house to have a sleepover. When we got there, it was toy city! Jacob was beside himself. So many new and different toys to play with. Jackson was great about Jacob taking over some of his toys but definitely was concerned about it at a few points. I also had to explain to Jacob several times that these toys belonged to Jackson and that he was sharing them with us. We had to share with him too.
"No Jackson play with that!" was something I heard a few times. There were also lots of good sharing moments between them, though. It was pretty cute. They both love books and when one would bring me a book, the other soon came over also and sit in my lap. So sweet!

Once Beth's husband Jason came home, I definitely missed Fraser. Apparently Jacob did too. During his bath, he was talking about Jackson's daddy and then said, "My daddy?" I explained that he wasn't with us on this trip. "Daddy put you to bed," he said. Oh! "I'm sorry, baby, but Daddy can't put you to bed tonight. We'll try to talk to him soon."

As I was putting him to bed, he wanted to be sure I was going to come back to the same room as him.
"I'm going to sleep right in this bed tonight. Right next to your bed."
"Mommy sleep here now."
"I'm going to just be out in the house for now while you go to sleep, but I'll come in in a little bit."
"Ga-cob watch Mommy leave."
It occurred to me that I had just taken him on a long trip across the country, had him sleep at one house for a night, then brought him to a whole new house for the next day and night. No wonder he just wanted to be sure of things.

Beth and I got to have some nice, childless time before bedtime for ourselves.
"It's been a long time since we've had a sleepover," I said as we were getting ready to head to bed.
"Yes," she said. "I remember them lasting longer."
True. They are very different now. But still nice to have when possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment