Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 306

July 29, 2011

As I relish the last full day of our vacation, I'm also preparing myself for the re-entry into regular life. This break has been much needed for all of us. It gave Fraser and me a chance to reconnect after 10 intense months in a new place with a new job and no breaks for either of us. It gave me a break from the planning and getting and cooking of every meal, for which I am so grateful. It gave me time to just relax and not be so consumed with my "should do" lists. And of course, it gave us a chance to hang out with loved ones and to build a stronger relationship between Jacob and his extended family. 

I think I'm ready to dive back into cooking. I'm not feeling it entirely yet, but I've eaten really well on this trip. Lots of delicious dishes. That has reminded me what eating well can be like. I want Jacob (and Fraser and myself, also) to eat good, whole foods. I want to make home cooked meals part of our life. That is important to me.

I want to do more crafting with and without Jacob. More sewing for me and more... whatever I can find for him. There are lots of blogs and inspiring books to go to for... inspiration. I'm excited to get back to all our friends in Portland, especially all those little ones of Jacob's. He'll be excited to get to his favourite museums. 


Above all, I am recharged in my efforts to make our home feel like a home. Things can get very routine being an at home mom which makes it easy to forget how special and important the job is. I wouldn't trade my job for the world and am so very grateful to Fraser's hard work that makes my job possible. And when dealing with a whiny, bossy, strong-willed two and a half year old all day while figuring out dinner, laundry, errands and other household jobs, while my husband and partner is out all day for many hours in a world I can't relate to, it's easy to get bogged down and worn out. Making a home is important to me, though. Important that Jacob has that stability and important for it to be a place of comfort and joy for all of us. A place that we can carry with us when we leave its boundaries and think upon during moments of stress. A place that feels good to come back to. I don't necessarily think the house we're in now meets all those criteria yet, but it's a goal and a work in progress and something I'm motivated again to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment