Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 284

July 7, 2011

My baby
I woke up before Jacob this morning (5:40) which I really do not like. And he was up before 6 himself. Needless to say, we were both a bit tired this morning which made us both a bit cranky. He wanted to do things that I didn't want him doing, and I didn't have as much patience as I usually do to tell him (again) not to. We had to take a few time outs together. Finally we got out the door to the grocery store which seemed to break the cycle. 


Also did some yoga which is always helpful for what ails you. 


Fantastic nap today. Thank everything holy. It's because I expect it, want it, need it, use it, and know that it helps him too that I really love the days when he has long naps. And I am so very thankful that he is a good napper. I know it's one of the many blessings I got with this kid. 


I did try to work a bit on the finances because I've fallen behind. Never fun. Much better to stay on top of them. But then, because I'd done something "productive" and because my mind was a mess and has been for the past couple days, I did some sewing. Aaahh... My friend Danna's been inspiring me to make some things for Jacob, repurposing things, and I've had this pair of pants almost made for weeks now. The fabric came from some old, adult-size pants that I got for pennies at a Goodwill. It's just the elastic that I was waiting on. Mostly because I was intimidated. I'd never done elastic before this. 
It was way easier than I was... imagining. What helped me turn the corner, actually, was when Fraser said that doing elastic shouldn't be too hard, right? As I explained it to him, I realized that, no, it shouldn't be. The best part, even better than realizing I can do elastic waistbands on kids' pants, is that my mind just felt so much more relaxed and at peace after this project. I get distracted by so many things during the days: watching the finances, paying bills, making phone calls, wanting more order to the house (not always cleanliness, but order) feeling like I'm treading water to stay on top of the things that flit through my mind at 5:40 in the morning. And yet it feels so good to just sit down and do something that brings me pleasure and that gets completed. It's creative, it's practical, it's enjoyable. So, so needed.



He's pretending to be Shilo (notice the tongue licking)

I'll leave you with some of my favourite parts of being a parent: 
Jacobisms:


Yesterday in the pool, a.... larger lady got in and Jacob says," That girl biiig. That girl the biggest you've ever seen." I simply explained that people come in all different shapes and sizes, some are big and some are little. It's just how things are. Which is true. But welcome to the world of politically incorrect things to say, nonetheless. Mostly when he says things like this, I just try to be as simple and honest as possible. Usually that's the best strategy.


I was eating some gum today. We talked about how you don't swallow it.
He says, "Mommy spit it out eventually." Nice word, buddy.


He loves to act like Shilo-kitty. I mean, everything she does, he likes to copy (he's into copying in general, actually). She runs in and out of a room, he runs in and out of a room. She goes outside under the deck chairs, he goes under the deck chairs. Today, as you can see in one of the pictures above, he was getting up on the bench and "washing himself" the way he sees her do it. Trying to lick his neck, his arms, looking around with his head like he saw her doing. Hilarious. He'd keep glancing at her to make sure he was getting it right. So funny.



No comments:

Post a Comment